- Unions without the knowledge or consent of the husband, in cases of polyandry.
- These married women continued to live as husband and wife with their first husband after marrying Joseph.
- A union with Apostle Orson Hyde’s wife while he was on a mission (Marinda Hyde).
- A union with a newlywed and pregnant woman (Zina Huntington).
- Threats that Joseph would be slain by an angel with a drawn sword if they did not enter into the union (Zina Huntington, Almera Woodard Johnson, Mary Lightner).
- Unions without the knowledge or consent of first wife Emma, including to teenagers who worked with Emma in the Smith home such as the Partridge sisters and the Lawrence girls.
- Promises of salvation and exaltation for the girls and/or their entire families.
This paragraph in The CES Letter presents a rapid-fire series of half-truths and misrepresentations.