Facsimile 1 – Missing Portions
The condition of the papyri when it came into Joseph's hands is unknown.
- It is unknown whether the portions now missing were absent when they came into Joseph's possession.
- It is unknown when the papyri was mounted on paper or who was responsible. It could have been prior to Joseph's possession, during his possession, or after his death.
- It is unknown when the penciled elements were added or who was responsible. It could have been prior to Joseph's possession, during his possession, or after his death.
- Eyewitness descriptions of the papyri seem to indicate that some of the elements in Facsimile 1 thought to have been penciled in were actually present in the original papyri.
- The author of The CES Letter is simply asserting a claim with no substantiating evidence, and is glossing over the real difficulties we have in reconstructing the original state of the papyri.
Eyewitness, Hearsay, and Physical Evidence of the Joseph Smith Papyri
Book of Abraham/Joseph Smith Papyri/Facsimiles/Missing portions